Top Boy actor Micheal Ward granted bail in U.K. court over rape and sexual assault charges

Select Language

English

Down Icon

Select Country

America

Down Icon

Top Boy actor Micheal Ward granted bail in U.K. court over rape and sexual assault charges

Top Boy actor Micheal Ward granted bail in U.K. court over rape and sexual assault charges

British actor Micheal Ward was granted bail Thursday after appearing at a central London court to face charges of rape and sexual assault.

The 27-year-old, who starred as Jamie in the Netflix crime drama Top Boy, faces two counts of rape and three counts of sexual assault. The charges first made headlines last month, while the alleged offences against one woman reportedly took place in January of 2023.

Ward appeared at Thames Magistrates' Court where he confirmed his name, address and date of birth during a short hearing. He did not enter any pleas and was granted conditional bail to next appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court in northeast London on Sept. 25.

Conditions of the actor's bail require him not to contact the alleged victim. Last month, Metropolitan Police also said they were continuing to support the woman who came forward, according to the BBC.

Ward has denied the charges. He previously said in a statement that he has "full faith" his name will be cleared in court.

Ward has appeared in films including Blue Story, The Book of Clarence and the recently-released U.S. political satire Eddington, alongside Joaquin Phoenix and Pedro Pascal.

In 2020, he won the Rising Star award at the British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs). He was nominated for an acting BAFTA for Sam Mendes's Empire of Light and for a BAFTA television award for the Steve McQueen-directed series Small Axe.

cbc.ca

cbc.ca

Similar News

All News
Animated ArrowAnimated ArrowAnimated Arrow